Whether you’re a stay-at-home mama, early childhood educator, homeschooling the babies, or just looking for fun and creative ways to keep the little ones busy, you’ll love this ABC Affirmations inspired art project.
When Blogger and Montessori(-ish) mama Tasha and her daughter Sarai shared this adorable photo of the ABC Affirmations alongside some paint, a few crayons, and other art supplies, I knew she was onto something special! This Brown Skin Girl craft is the perfect way to celebrate Black culture, self-expression, and remind our little ones of all the things that make them who they are!
Why We Love It
Arts and crafts are a great activity for children of all ages, especially our little ones. They inspire creativity and imaginative play, helps them exercise fine motor skills, and even encourages critical-thinking and problem-solving. And alongside the ABC Affirmations, our children can practice language development and self-awareness too!
Speaking life into Sarai with everything she does is so important to us. Affirming her importance & ensuring she knows she matters, unapologetically. We love using the ABC’s Affirmation cards from @liberatedyoung as a way to foster and nurture positivity & confidence!@saraioloriplays
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Glue stick
- Hot Glue Gun (optional)
- Brown Paint
- Sharpie Markers
- Cotton Balls or Yarn to Create the Hair
- Bows, barrettes, or other accessories
- ABC Affirmations Flash Cards
Make your Brown Skin Girl/Boy portrait:
- Before you get started, choose a few of your favorite ABC Affirmations for inspiration. Some of our favorites for this project are: B is for Beautiful, R is for Radiant, K is for King, O is for Original, and U is for Unique.
- On a piece of cardboard, outline your desired face and hair shape.
- Once your shape is outlined, carefully cut it out — take the lead on this if your child isn’t familiar with using scissors yet!
- Using brown paint, have your little one paint the cotton balls they’ll use for the hair. They can also paint their cardboard cutout as well!
- Use the glue stick to glue the cotton balls or yarn to the cutout.
- If they like, have them draw their face. Encourage creativity with colors, glitter, and accessories.
- As you work through the project, recite and discuss the ABC Affirmations! Take some to talk through what they mean and how they reflect your little one!
Make sure you head to Instagram to see Sarai make her Brown Skin Girl portrait and recite her ABC Affirmations!